Windows Live Messenger, formerly known as MSN Messenger is a popular instant messaging client from Microsoft, compatible with Windows operating systems, Xbox 360, BlackBerry OS and IOS. Since 2005 onwards, this messaging facility has been an important component of a Windows Live set of online services. It is quite easy to install Windows Live Messenger on your computer. However, it is better to uninstall Windows Messenger first, a pre-installed application in Windows, before adding Windows Live Messenger. The following Windows support guidelines will help you in this aspect.
- You can begin the procedure by clicking on the Start menu button on the Windows screen. There open Control Panel.
- You should double click on the option Add or Remove Programs. This option allows you to install or remove programs and Windows components. A new window appears, on which you can see currently installed applications. On the left side of this window, four options are given, among them you have to click on Add or Remove Windows Components. This brings up a list of pre-installed Windows components.
- You have to scroll down to Windows Messenger program and uncheck the box near to it. Then click on Next. This will initiate the uninstall process. Once it is finished, you get a prompt and you need to select the Finish button.
- After uninstalling, Restart the computer. Now your system will be ready for installing Windows Live Messenger.
- You can download Windows Live Messenger from any of the official Windows support sites.
- After downloading it, again select Control Panel. There you have to choose and open the option Add or Remove Programs.
- A new window appears and from the various options on the left side of the window, you need to select Add new programs.
- There you can see an option Add a program from a CD-ROM or Floppy disk. Alternatively, there is a direct option to have Windows updates from the internet.
- On the right side there is a box saying CD or Floppy, click on it. Another window opens and you should click on Next to proceed. Then you will get an option Browse. Using this you can move to the location on the hard drive where you have downloaded the Windows Live Messenger application.
- Select the program and click on the Finish button to complete the installation.